The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) export requirements for The People’s Republic of China were revised. Effective March 17, 2020, the restrictions on beef and beef products have been removed. Therefore, participation in the USDA Export Verification (EV) Program for The People’s Republic of China is no longer required to export beef and beef products to China.
Beef and beef products harvested under the USDA AMS EV Program prior to March 17, 2020, are eligible to export under the current FSIS requirements, which can be found on the FSIS Export Library. These requirements apply to U.S. companies—slaughterers, fabricators, and/or processors—that supply beef and beef products as listed on the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) website.
Companies with a current EV Program with AMS do not have to modify or change their program due to the changes noted in the FSIS Export Library. EV Products (pipeline products) meeting the specified product requirements for The People’s Republic of China, as stated below, are still eligible to be exported under the current FSIS Export Library requirements.
The specified requirements for exports to China prior to March 17, 2020 included:
- Beef and beef products must be derived from cattle that were born, raised, and slaughtered in the U.S., cattle that were imported from Canada or Mexico and subsequently raised and slaughtered in the U.S., or cattle that were imported from Canada or Mexico for direct slaughter;
- Cattle must be traceable to the U.S. birth farm using a unique identifier, or if imported to the first place of residence or port of entry;
- Beef and beef products must be derived from cattle less than 30 months of age;
- Chilled or frozen bone-in and deboned beef products are eligible for shipment. For a complete listing, refer to the FSIS Export Library; and
- Carcasses, beef, and beef products must be uniquely identified and controlled up until the time of shipment.
Only eligible products may be issued an FSIS Export Certificate. Contact your local FSIS personnel to issue the export certificate.