The Wholesale Market and Facility Design team provides technical assistance and support to stakeholders regarding the construction of new structures or the remodeling of existing ones. These facilities include wholesale market, farmers markets, public markets and food hubs, all of which are important parts of the national food distribution network. The facilities may be indoors or outdoors, a single building or an industrial complex.
Market construction projects can require major capital investment. Our involvement may facilitate project advancement. The design involves far more than its appearance; the building must be functional, safe, and efficient and must meet the needs of the people using it. Our support involves leadership in all phases of development, from the initial concept discussion with the customer through review of the costing phase and the construction process. In developing the design, our work follows building codes, zoning laws, fire regulations, and other local and state ordinances for Americans with Disabilities Act compliance.
Our services include assistance in:
- Review of environmental issues
- Site selection
- Initial design concept
- Building cost study
- Coordination with local design professionals
- Third party design reviews
For more information, please contact:
- Search publications and presentations
- Technical Assistance Request Form (pdf)
- A Practitioner’s Guide to Conducting an Economic Impact Assessment of Regional Food Hubs using IMPLAN: A Systematic Approach