USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) through its Dairy Grading Branch offers export certification services to assist in the exportation of dairy products.
- Currently, the Dairy Grading Branch only provides export certificates for dairy products manufactured or processed at plants where we have knowledge from US conducted plant and product inspections or where AMS has surveyed/approved for grading services. The plant from which the product(s) was last exposed to a chance of contamination, must be on a federal inspected dairy plant list and in good standing prior to exporting out of the United States into a foreign country. Dairy products eligible to obtain AMS Dairy Grading Branch export certificates must be manufactured or processed in eligible plants on the lists below
- Currently, the Dairy Grading Branch does not include claims (i.e. Kosher, Halal, Organic, Extra Grade, etc.) in the export certificate product description. Importing customers may request proof/certification of claims directly from the exporter.
- The Dairy Grading Branch issues dairy sanitary certificates to U.S. exporters. The European Union and many other countries require export certificates to be dated prior to the date the product is exported. Currently, the Dairy Grading Branch dates the certificates based on the date the request is reviewed and the certificate is signed.
- Exporters are asked to allow at least 5 business days for the Dairy Grading Branch to process export certificate requests.
- Dairy Export Program Frequently Asked Questions (pdf)
Dairy products eligible to obtain AMS Dairy Grading Branch export certificates must be manufactured or processed in eligible plants on the lists below:
- Interstate Milk Shippers (IMS) list, maintained by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- FDA maintained European Union (EU) Dairy Plant Reference list (pdf)
- Dairy Plants Surveyed and Approved for USDA Grading Service, maintained by the Dairy Grading Branch
- FAS Outpost Directory
- FAS GAINS Reports
- Country Requirements: APHIS International Regulations (IRegs) for Animal Product Exports
- APHIS Service Center Directory (pdf)
- FDA Export Food Products from USA
- FDA Import and Export information