AMS enforces interstate commerce provisions of the Federal Seed Act (FSA) and provides seed testing service under the Agricultural Marketing Act.
The FSA regulates the interstate shipment of agricultural and vegetable seeds. The FSA requires that seed shipped in interstate commerce be labeled with information that allows seed buyers to make informed choices. Seed labeling information and advertisements pertaining to the seed must be truthful. The FSA helps promote uniformity among State laws and fair competition within the seed trade.
- View the Federal Seed Act (pdf)
- View the full Federal Seed Act regulations
- Enforcement of the Varietal Labeling Provisions of the Federal Seed Act
- Weight of a Working Sample
- 2022 State Noxious-Weed Seed Requirements (States and Appendix) (pdf) updated February 2022
- 2022 State Noxious-Weed Seed Requirements (States and Appendix) (xls) updated February 2022
- Seed Company Records and the Federal Seed Act (pdf)
- Labeling Requirements for Chemically Treated Seed (pdf)
- View the Agricultural Marketing Act 7 CFR 75