AMS works in concert with ASTM International to develop marketing claim standards that assist the marketing of livestock and meat products that are certified, graded, and/or verified by USDA for both domestic and the international marketplace. The ASTM F10 Marketing Claims subcommittee (F10.60) evaluates the needs and marketing issues relative to the tenderness initiative as well as other areas of consumer and industry interest. The subcommittee fosters the development of technical standards for product attribute claims used in livestock, meat and poultry marketing. The work of this committee is coordinated with other organizations and governmental entities having mutual interests.
- ASTM Tenderness Standard (pdf)
- Tenderness Operational Document (pdf)
- Notice to the Trade - Addendum to the AMS Operational Requirements Document (pdf)
- LPSP Laboratory Proficiency Testing for Shear Force (pdf)
- Use of the Longissimus Muscle to Predict Carcass Tenderness (pdf)