FGIS was created by Congress in 1976 to manage the national grain inspection system, which was initially established in 1916, and to institute a national grain weighing program. Today FGIS facilitates the marketing of U.S. grain and related products by establishing standards for quality assessments, regulating handling practices, and managing a network of Federal, State, and private laboratories that provide impartial official inspection and weighing services.
Under the United States Grain Standards Act (USGSA) and the Agricultural Marketing Act of 1946 (AMA), FGIS:
- Establishes and maintains official U.S. grain standards for barley, canola, corn, flaxseed, oats, rye, sorghum, soybeans, sunflower seed, triticale, wheat, mixed grain, rice, and pulses;
- Inspects and weighs grain and related products for domestic and export trade;
- Establishes methods and procedures, and approves equipment for the official inspection and weighing of grain; and
- Supervises the official grain inspection and weighing system. The official system is a network of FGIS field offices, and State and private grain inspection and weighing agencies across the nation that are authorized by FGIS to provide official inspection and weighing services.
- Provides international services and outreach programs and protects the integrity of the official inspection system and the market at large to ensure markets for grain and related products are fair and transparent.
FGIS and the official agencies that comprise the official system provide services under both the USGSA and the AMA on a fee basis for both export and domestic grain shipments.
1400 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-3601
Telephone: (202) 720-9170
Fax: (202) 690-2333
National Grain Center
USDA, AMS, FGIS
10383 N Ambassador Dr
Kansas City, MO 64153
Questions and inquiries: FGISASKTSD@usda.gov
Edward M. Jhee, Ph.D.
Director, Technology and Science Division
Deputy Director, Technology and Science Division
Assistant Field Office Manager, Domestic Inspection Operations Office
FGIS Field Offices
View the Field Offices Directory