AMS is helping communities scale up local and regional food systems and strengthen their economies. Whether you are an individual farmer looking to extend your growing season, a cooperative of growers looking to rebuild a food hub, a farmers' market that wants to accept SNAP benefits, a school that needs cold storage to store locally procured meat, or anyone in between, we can help you identify funding opportunities to support your local food efforts based on where you are in the supply chain.
For the latest updates and announcements regarding programs, check out our blog.
To find out which grants apply to you depending on your place in the local and regional food system, please view the USDA Programs in the Local Food Supply Chain document (PDF, 112KB).
Agricultural Marketing Service: Market your product or improve intermediary supply chain activities.
- Farmers Market Promotion Program
- Local Food Promotion Program
- Organic Cost Share Programs
- Specialty Crop Block Grant Program
- Specialty Crop Block Grant Multi-State Program
Farm Service Agency: Loans and assistance programs to establish, improve, expand, transition, and strengthen your farm or ranch.
- Farm Loan Programs
- Farm Storage Facility Loan Program
- Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program
Food and Nutrition Service: Find opportunities to promote and fund nutrition programs.
- Farm to School Grants Program
- Senior Farmers' Market Nutrition Program
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- WIC Farmers' Market Nutrition Program
Forest Service: Funding for agro-forestry and environmental stewardship.
Natural Resources Conservation Service: These opportunities maintain and improve their existing conservation systems and help producers adopt additional conservation activities.
- Conservation Stewardship Program
- Conservation Technical Assistance
- Environmental Quality Incentives Program (includes High Tunnels)
- Farm and Ranch Land Protection Program
- Agricultural Conservation Easement Program
- Conservation Reserve Program
- Urban Agriculture and Innovative Production
National Institute for Food and Agriculture: Collaborate with leading scientists, policymakers, experts, and educators to solve impact food, agriculture, natural resources, and human science issues.
- Agriculture and Food Research Initiative - Agricultural Economics and Rural Communities
- Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program
- Community Food Projects
- Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentives Program
- Small Business Innovation Research
- Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education funding
Risk Management Agency: Find funding to protect your assets and learn how to manage long-term risks and challenges.
Rural Development: Apply for loans, grants and loan guarantees to support essential community services or obtain funding to improve supply chain activities.
- Business and Industry Guaranteed Loan Program
- Community Facilities
- Rural Business Development Grants
- Rural Cooperative Development Grants
- Rural Energy for America Program
- Value Added Producer Grants
- Maps and Directories
- Food Safety
- Resources for Veterans
- Resources for Tribal Governments and Individual American Indians and Alaska Natives Section
- Resources and Reports