The Local Food Promotion Program (LFPP) offers grant funds with a 25% match to support the development and expansion of local and regional food business enterprises to increase domestic consumption of, and access to, locally and regionally produced agricultural products, and to develop new market opportunities for farm and ranch operations serving local markets. There are two types of project applications are accepted under LFPP—planning grants and implementation grants. Applicants can apply for either but will receive only one type of grant in the same grant cycle.
LFPP Planning Grants are used in the planning stages of establishing or expanding a local and regional food business enterprise. Activities can include but are not limited to market research, feasibility studies, and business planning.
LFPP Implementation Grants are used to establish a new local and regional food business enterprise, or to improve or expand an existing local or regional food business enterprise. Activities can include but are not limited to training and technical assistance for the business enterprise and/or for producers working with the business enterprise; outreach and marketing to buyers and consumers; and non-construction infrastructure improvements to business enterprise facilities or information technology systems.
Eligible entities may apply if they support local and regional food business enterprises that process, distribute, aggregate, or store locally or regionally produced food products. Such entities may include:
- Agricultural businesses and cooperatives
- Producer networks and associations
- Community supported agriculture networks and associations
- Other agricultural business entities (for-profit groups)
- Nonprofit and public benefit corporations
- Economic development corporations
- Regional farmers’ market authorities
- Local and tribal governments
- What AMS grant is right for me? (pdf)
- LFPP Questions and Answers (pdf)
- Differences between FMPP and LFPP (pdf)
- 2015 Request for Applications (pdf)
- 2015 General Terms and Conditions (pdf)