How do I Apply for the SCBGP Grant?

How do I apply to the Specialty Crop Block Grant Program?

Applications for specialty crop projects must be submitted to the appropriate State Department of Agriculture to be considered for funding. State Departments of Agriculture are encouraged to partner with specialty crop stakeholders, including socially disadvantaged and beginning farmers, in order to fulfill State specialty crop priorities. To learn how to apply for SCBGP funding, contact your State Department of Agriculture Project Coordinator.

State departments of agriculture must apply following the requirements listed in the most recently published Request for Applications.

When can I submit an application?

The due dates for Requests for Proposals for each State’s department of agriculture vary.  You can check the document below for the due date for your state or contact your State Department of Agriculture Project Coordinator for more information.

What are the application requirements?

State applicants can find the requirements for submitting an application in the most recently published Request for Applications.

State applicants can also find examples by reviewing the SCBGP Sample Application Forms:

If you are an individual or other non-Federal entity interested in applying through a state’s competitive process, requirements for each State department of agriculture’s competition varies. Contact your State Department of Agriculture Project Coordinator and review your state’s Request for Proposals for more information.

How can I get money to start or expand a farm?

There are many resources for you to start or expand a small-scale farming operation. You just need to know where to look. For starters, USDA has developed a web tool designed to connect burgeoning farm entrepreneurs with programs and resources available to help get started: The site features advice and guidance on everything a new farm business owner will need to know and even includes a personalized Discovery Tool that builds a customized set of recommendations of USDA programs and services based on your needs. You can also browse which is a is a database of programs and resources for beginning farmers and ranchers in the United States.

Are there any resources that can help me write an application?