The Meat and Poultry Inspection Readiness Grant (MPIRG) program assists currently operational meat and poultry slaughter and processing facilities in obtaining a Federal Grant of Inspection under the Federal Meat Inspection Act (FMIA) or the Poultry Products Inspection Act (PPIA); or to operate as a State-inspected facility that is compliant with FMIA or PPIA under a respective Cooperative Interstate Shipment (CIS) program.
The MPIRG focuses on:
- Improving meat and poultry slaughter and processing capacity and efficiency;
- Developing new and expanding existing markets;
- Increasing capacity and better meeting consumer and producer demand;
- Maintaining strong inspection and food safety standards;
- Obtaining a larger commercial presence; and
- Increasing access to slaughter/processing facilities for smaller farms and ranches, new and beginning farmers and ranchers, socially disadvantaged producers, veteran producers, and/or underserved communities.
- View the MPIRG webinar
- 2022 MPIRG Request for Applications (RFA) (pdf)
- Meat and Poultry Processing Capacity Technical Assistance
- AMS NEPA Attestation Form (pdf)
- Grant Opportunities Fact Sheet: Funding expanded market channels for animal production and livestock products (pdf)
- Meat and Poultry Inspection Readiness Grant Webinar Video
- 2021 Request for Applications (pdf)
- Project Narrative (docx)
- Do you qualify for the MPIRG Grant? (pdf)
- AMS will be hosting a webinar for applicants. For dates and registration instructions, visit our webinars page.