Plant surveys consist of an on-site evaluation of a food processing facility to assess the facility’s compliance with current Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s).
The results of a plant survey can serve several purposes including:
- to determine whether a food processing facility is adequate and acceptable for food production on a contract basis;
- to determine whether a facility qualifies for SCI Division in-plant inspection; and
- a source of objective information about a facility’s operations which can be of interest to plant management and/or to the firm’s trading partner(s).
Plant surveys include assessment of the following:
- Plant construction and design;
- Processing area, equipment, and facilities;
- Warehouse and storage facilities;
- Receiving area;
- Premises (parking lot and yard area);
- Water supply;
- Waste disposal;
- Personnel policies;
- Laboratory facilities; and
- Toilet facilities.
Plant surveys and related inspection services are available on a fee basis from USDA’s Specialty Crops Inspection (SCI) Division.
To apply for services or obtain additional information, contact the National Programs Mission Support at:
Telephone: (202) 720-5870