USDA is accepting nominations from qualified fruit and vegetable industry members to fill vacancies on the Fruit and Vegetable Industry Advisory Committee. The FVIAC provides advice and recommendations to the Secretary of Agriculture on issues of importance to the produce industry. Read more details on the Rulemaking page
Qualified candidates may nominate themselves, or someone can nominate another candidate who is interested, qualified, and agrees to the nomination. Nominees must currently work in one of the agricultural capacities within the supply chain, as listed below (within the retail or commercial produce industry):
- Farmers Market Managers
- Food Hubs
- Industry Associations
- Food Service Suppliers
- State Departments of Agriculture
Membership Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Nominees may not be registered as a lobbyist at any level of government. Executive Order No. 13490, 18 June 2010, prohibits an individual who is registered with the federal government or with a state government as a lobbyist from serving on any federal advisory committee.
- Nominees may not serve on more than one USDA Advisory Committee, concurrent to the Fruit and Vegetable Industry Advisory Committee two-year term.
- Committee members may not serve more than three consecutive two-year terms, or six consecutive years on the Committee.
- Ability to serve a full two-year term
- The ability to work effectively in a large group setting with other produce industry sector members
- Must be available and able to attend 2 meetings per year in the Washington DC, metro region**
- Must be available and participate in Subcommittee teleconference calls
**Members of the Committee are reimbursed by the USDA for approved travel and associated lodging expenses as determined by all guidelines and regulations specified by the U.S. General Services Administration.
- USDA Advisory Committee Membership Background Information Form AD–755
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae*
- Cover Letter
Supplementary Material (Optional)
- List of Endorsements or Letters of Support (from Industry Group, Congressional Member, or Local/State Agricultural Office)
*Must be limited to five one-sided pages and should include a summary of the following information: Current and past organization affiliations; areas of expertise; education; career positions held; and any other notable positions held
Nomination packages can be submitted electronically by email to SCPFVIAC@usda.gov, or mailed to: Darrell Hughes, U.S Department of Agriculture, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW., South Building-Room 2083-STOP 0235, Washington, DC 20250-0235, Attn: Fruit and Vegetable Industry Advisory Committee. Electronic submittals are preferred.