The total cost of protection is $5,150. This price includes $4,382 for the application and examination; and $768 for the certificate fee (payable when the certificate is ready to issue). These fees are subject to change. A complete list of itemized fees is provided below.
Fees are payable in advance: Fees and charges shall be paid at the time of making application or at the time of submitting a request for any action by the office for which a fee or charge is payable and established. Make checks and money orders payable to "Treasurer of the United States.” We also accept electronic payments. (Use Pay.Gov to make payments)
|Filing the application and notifying the public of filing||$518.00|
|Search or examination||$3,864.00|
|Submission of new application data, after notice of allowance, prior to issuance of certificate||$432.00|
|Allowance and issuance of certificate and notifying public of issuance||$768.00|
|Revive an abandoned application||$518.00|
|Reproduction of records, drawings, certificates, exhibits, or printed material (copy per page of material)||$1.80|
|Authentication (each page)||$1.80|
|Correcting or re-issuance of a certificate||$518.00|
|Recording assignments, any revisions of an assignment, or withdrawal or revocation of an assignment (per certificate or application)||$41.00|
|Copies of 8" x 10" photographs in color.||$41.00|
|Additional fee for reconsideration||$518.00|
|Additional fee for late payment||$41.00|
|Fee for handling replenishment seed sample (applicable only for certificates issued after June 20, 2005)||$38.00|
|Additional fee for late replenishment of seed||$41.00|
|Filing a petition for protest proceeding||$4,118.00|
|Appeal to Secretary (refundable if appeal overturns the Commissioner's decision)||$4,942.00|
|Granting of extensions for responding to a request||$89.00|
|Any other services not covered by this schedule, please contact PVPO|
- Recording assignment, any revisions of an assignment, or withdrawal or revocation of an assignment (per certificate/application)
- Discount for multiple recording assignments will be $20.50 each for 26 or more assignments submitted at the same time and $41 each for 25 or less assignments submitted at the same time.
- Discount for multiple re-issuance of certificates of protection will be $259 each for 26 or more certificates re-issued at the same time and $518 each for 25 or less certificates submitted. This is a 50% discount for recording assignment and certificate re-issuance requests submitted in batches of 26 or more at the same time.
- Appeal to Secretary is refundable if appeal overturns the Commissioner's decision
- Field inspections by a representative of the Plant Variety Protection Office made at the request of the applicant shall be reimbursable in full (including travel, per diem or subsistence, salary, and administrative costs) in accordance with Standardized Government Travel Regulations. Any other service not covered above will be charged for at rates prescribed by the Commissioner, but in no event shall they exceed 107 per employee-hour. Charges also will be made for materials, space, and administrative costs.
Revised October 16, 2018