AMS requests applications for the fiscal year 2023 Local Meat Capacity Grants (Local MCap). This program supports independently owned meat and poultry processing businesses with funds to provide more and better processing options for local livestock producers by modernizing, increasing, diversifying and decentralizing meat and poultry processing capacity, including support for rendering. Approximately $75 million is available under this grant program, subject to appropriations and funds availability.
Processing Expansion Projects will fund grants from $100,000 up to $5 million to increase the processing and/or rendering capacity of privately, cooperatively, non-profit, or Tribally held processing facilities as described in this RFA.
Simplified Equipment-Only Projects offer a simplified application to fund smaller grants between $10,000 and $250,000 for equipment purchases for meat and poultry processors.
Examples of Processing Expansion Projects include but are not limited to:
- Expanding processing capacities to increase production volumes, process additional meat and poultry species, or add new value-added product types;
- Upgrading processing and manufacturing equipment;
- Increasing packaging and labeling capacity;
- Increasing cold storage capacity;
- Improving slaughter and humane handling infrastructure;
- Installation of holding pens or wastewater management systems, or other improvements that do not require breaking new ground or constructing new facilities.
Examples of Simplified Equipment Projects include but are not limited to:
- Sausage makers
- View the Local MCap Webinar
- Local MCap Office Hours Flyer (pdf)
- 2023 Request for Application (pdf)
- Local MCap Specific Terms and Conditions (pdf)
- Frequently Asked Questions (pdf)
- Local MCap Fact Sheet (pdf)
- Local MCap Presentation Slides (pdf)
- Meat and Poultry Processing Capacity - Technical Assistance
- Meat and Poultry Supply Chain
- SF 424 Forms can be found with the www.grants.gov website application submission
- Processing Expansion Projects – Project Narrative Template (docx)
- Simplified Equipment-Only Projects – Project Narrative Template (docx)
- Critical Resource Infrastructure Template Letter (docx)
- Verification of Matching Funds Template Letter (docx)
- Please refer to the How to Apply page for more information