USDA Harmonized GAP Audit Program
USDA incorporated the two Produce GAPs Harmonized Food Safety Standards for specialty crops into its USDA Harmonized GAP audit program in 2011. The two standards used for USDA Harmonized GAP audits are the “Field Operations and Harvesting Harmonized Food Safety Standard” and the “Post-harvest Operations Harmonized Food Safety Standard.” The official versions of these standards are on the International Fresh Produce Association's Harmonization Initiative website.
- AMS has updated the Harmonized GAP Plus+ audit standard and checklist. These updates become effective September 1, 2022, and will allow this audit to continue to meet the GFSI Technical Equivalence requirements. Summary of Changes to the Harmonized Standard (pdf)
- The newest edition of the Harmonized GAP Program Manual (previously identified as the Auditor Manual) has been released.
Harmonized GAP Standards and Checklists
The current USDA standards and checklists were established May 1, 2021.
The USDA Harmonized GAP standard and checklist were established May 1, 2021 and includes the Tomato Audit Protocol metrics as a voluntary scope.
- Harmonized GAP Standard (V. 2.0) (pdf)
- Harmonized GAP Checklist (V. 5.0) (xls)
- Harmonized GAP Checklist (V. 5.0) (pdf)
The new USDA Harmonized GAP Plus+ standard and checklist were recently updated to align with the 2020 Global Food Safety Initiative’s (GFSI) technical equivalency benchmarking requirements for government entities. These documents must be used for any audits performed after August 31, 2022.
- Harmonized GAP Plus+ Standard (V. 4.0) (pdf)
- Harmonized GAP Plus+ Checklist (V. 4.0) (xls)
- Harmonized GAP Plus+ Checklist (V. 4.0) (pdf)
The previous USDA Harmonized GAP Plus+ standard and checklist are available here for new audits through August 31, 2022 and the subsequent unannounced audits.
- Harmonized GAP Plus+ Standard (V. 3.0) (pdf)
- Harmonized GAP Plus+ Checklist (V. 3.0) (xls)
- Harmonized GAP Plus+ Checklist (V. 3.0) (pdf)
- Harmonized GAP Program Manual (pdf)
- USDA Notice to Trade - Updates Harmonized GAP Plus+ Standard and Checklist
- USDA Press Release - USDA Announces $3.7 Million in Financial Assistance to Fruit and Vegetable Growers in 16 States
- Harmonized GAP Assistance Q&A
- Frequently Asked Questions on H-GAP and Produce Safety Rule Alignment (pdf)
- USDA Harmonized GAP Plus+ Audit Service Questions & Answers
For additional information, please contact:
- Telephone: (202) 720-5021
- Fax: (866) 230-9168
- Email: SCAudits@usda.gov