From rooftop gardens to aquaponics centers in old warehouses to growing crops on abandoned properties, urban agriculture provides many benefits to a community, including closer neighborhood ties, reduced crime, education and job training opportunities, and healthy food access for residents.
USDA’s Urban Agriculture and Innovative Production program provides planning and implementation grants and support for urban production and policies.
Find out options for USDA Funding
USDA Urban Agriculture Toolkit:
- Urban Agriculture Toolkit (PDF, 8.5MB) - Lays out the common operational elements that most urban farmers must consider as they start up or grow their operations.
Start to Farm:
- USDA New Farmers Initiative - Get connected and get started in agriculture.
- Maps and Directories
- Food Safety
- Resources for Veterans
- Resources for Tribal Governments and Individual American Indians and Alaska Natives Section
- Resources and Reports
Partners Near You
- Cooperative Extension
- USDA Natural Resource and Conservation Local Service Centers
- USDA Farm Service Agency State Offices
- USDA State Rural Development Offices
- Resource Conservation and Development Councils
- Buy Fresh, Buy Local Chapters
- State Departments of Agriculture