AMS offers a new Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) audit service to meet the new FSMA requirements for produce distribution centers, aggregators, and processors. The new GMP program will verify the consistent safety of products by focusing on people, premises, processes, products, and procedures.
A Food Defense audit scope may be added to the GMP audit if requested. The Food Defense audit scope will verify the measures that a facility might take to minimize the risk of tampering or other malicious criminal actions against the food under their control. Our Food Defense audits will be predicated on the facility’s FSMA-required food defense plan.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- The new GMP audit service will be available starting June 1, 2022 and will be provided by either Federal or Fed/State auditors. To request audit services, please contact our office, listed below.
- The current USDA GAP&GHP Part 6 - Distribution Center scope will be retired on July 31, 2022.
- The new GMP and Food Defense audit program will meet the audit needs for produce distribution centers who are vendors in the USDA Commodity Procurement program.
- The cost will be determined at the current audit rate, which is $115 an hour.
- The GMP audits will be performed by either AMS or Federal/State auditors following the same protocols as current GAP audit services.
Audit Standards and Checklists
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) Audit Standard (pdf)
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) Audit Checklist (V. 1.0) (pdf)
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) Audit Checklist (V. 1.0) (docx)
- Food Defense (FD) Audit Standard (pdf)
- Food Defense (FD) Audit Checklist (V. 1.0) (pdf)
- Food Defense (FD) Audit Checklist (V. 1.0) (docx)
For more information, please contact:
Specialty Crops Division, Audit Services Branch
phone: (202) 720-5021
Fax: (866) 230-9168