NOSB Nomination Process
Appointed by the Secretary of Agriculture, the NOSB is a Federal Advisory Committee comprised of a diverse group of individuals from the organic community. In accordance with the Organic Foods Production Act of 1990, the Board shall be comprised of 15 members, of which:
- four shall be individuals who own or operate an organic farming operation;
- two shall be individuals who own or operate an organic handling operation;
- one shall be an individual who owns or operates a retail establishment with significant trade in organic products;
- three shall be individuals with expertise in areas of environmental protection and resource conservation;
- three shall be individuals who represent public interest or consumer interest groups;
- one shall be an individual with expertise in the fields of toxicology, ecology, or biochemistry; and
- one shall be an individual who is a certifying agent as identified under section 6515 of this title.
The Call for Nominations
The USDA issues a call for nominations in the spring to fill upcoming vacancies beginning in January of the following year. Open positions vary based on which positions were held by outgoing NOSB members. New members are appointed for a five-year term of service that begins in January. Current and former committee members and their appointment dates are available on the NOSB Members pages linked from the menu to the left.
For questions please call Michelle Arsenault at 202-720-0081 or the NOP main office at 202-720-3252.
2018 Nominations and appointments
- USDA announces two new NOSB members
- Press Release: USDA Seeks Nominations for the National Organic Standards Board
- Federal Register Notice
- Call for Nominations Flyer (pdf)
- NOSB Recommendation on Criteria for NOSB Membership (pdf)
- Advisory Committee Background Information (Form AD-755) (pdf)
The next call for nominations will be in the spring of 2019 for appointments beginning in 2020. For questions please call Michelle Arsenault at 202-720-0081 or the NOP main office at 202-720-3252.