Status: NOSB Call for Nominations is CLOSED
Submission Deadline: June 1, 2020
USDA seeks to fill five National Organic Standards Board vacancies. The Secretary of Agriculture will appoint new members to five-year terms to begin in January 2021. Current vacancies include:
- Two (2) individuals who own or operate an organic farming operation, or employees of such individuals
- Two (2) individuals who represent public interest or consumer interest groups
- One (1) individual who is a USDA-accredited certifying agent
The new appointees are expected to be announced in the Fall of 2020.
- Federal Register Notice
- Call for Nominations Flyer
- NOSB Recommendation on Criteria for NOSB Membership (pdf)
For additional questions, contact Michelle Arsenault at 202-720-0081 or 202-720-3252, or email Michelle.Arsenault@usda.gov.
NOSB Nomination Process
Appointed by the Secretary of Agriculture, the NOSB is a Federal Advisory Committee comprised of a diverse group of individuals from the organic community. In accordance with the Organic Foods Production Act of 1990, the Board shall be comprised of 15 members, of which:
- Four shall be individuals who own or operate an organic farming operation or employees of such individuals.
- Two shall be individuals who own or operate an organic handling operation or employees of such individuals.
- One shall be an individual who owns or operates a retail establishment with significant trade in organic products or employees of such individuals.
- Three shall be individuals with expertise in areas of environmental protection and resource conservation.
- Three shall be individuals who represent public interest or consumer interest groups.
- One shall be an individual with expertise in the fields of toxicology, ecology, or biochemistry.
- One shall be an individual who is a certifying agent as identified under section 6515 of this title.