How do I Apply for the MGFSP Grant?

How do I apply to the Micro-Grants for Food Security Program?

Only state departments of agriculture from one of the following states and territories may apply to AMS for funding: Alaska, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, Hawaii, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau, and the United States Virgin Islands.

If you are an individual or other non-federal entity interested in applying, applications for MGFSP projects must be submitted to the appropriate state department of agriculture to be considered for funding. To learn how to apply for funding in your state or territory, contact your MGFSP state department of agriculture contact.

When can I submit an application?

The 2021 MGFSP grant application period is now closed.  Applications received after the due date will be subject to the AMS' - Policy on Late Applications (pdf).

What are the application requirements?

State departments of agriculture can find the requirements for submitting an application in the most recently published Request for Applications.

Applications must be received before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Monday, May 24, 2021 through Applications received after this deadline will not be considered for funding.

Who is eligible to apply to a state department of agriculture for MGFSP?

Eligible entities who are physically located in an eligible state or territory listed above can apply directly to the agency, commission, or department of agriculture of that state or territory. Eligible entities for MGFSP are:

  • Individuals;
  • Indian tribes or tribal organizations;
  • Nonprofit organizations that are engaged in increasing food security, including—
    • Religious organizations;
    • Food banks; or
    • Food pantries;
  • Federally funded educational facilities, including—
    • Head Start programs or an Early Head Start programs;
    • Public elementary schools or public secondary schools;
    • Public institutions of higher education;
    • Tribal Colleges or Universities;
    • Job training programs; or
  • Local or Tribal governments that may not levy local taxes under State or Federal law.