Who can file a complaint?
Anyone who suspects a violation of the USDA National Bioengineered Food Disclosure Standard (BE Standard).
What information should I provide?
When you report an alleged violation, provide as much information as possible to help ensure a thorough investigation (see example below). If you are willing to discuss the issue further, please provide your name and contact information.
The identity of the person filing the complaint, and any portion of the complaint that would indicate the identity of the person submitting the notification, are required by law to remain confidential.
Examples of common BE Standard violations:
- Failure to make a bioengineered food disclosure.
In these cases, please provide:
- Brand name of the product
- Ingredients listed on the product
- Any lot numbers (or “best by / before” dates) on the product
- Name of the product manufacturer or distributor
- Detailed explanation of the identified regulatory violation
- Actual product package or copy of the product label
What happens after I submit a complaint?
The USDA Food Disclosure and Labeling Division (FDLD) will review your complaint and determine how best to proceed. This may include coordinating a thorough investigation or conducting a records review.
File a complaint by:
Online submission: BE Complaints Portal
Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Food Disclosure & Labeling Division
1400 Independence Avenue, S.W.,
Room 2069-S, Stop 0216
Washington, DC 20250