The Dairy Business Innovation (DBI) Initiatives support dairy businesses in the development, production, marketing and distribution of dairy products. DBI Initiatives provide direct technical assistance and grants to dairy businesses, including niche dairy products, such as specialty cheese, or dairy products derived from the milk of a dairy animal, including cow, sheep and goat milk.
These initiatives specifically focus on:
- Diversifying dairy product markets to reduce risk and develop higher-value uses for dairy products.
- Promoting business development that diversifies farmer income through processing and marketing innovation.
- Encouraging the use of regional milk production.
AMS will solicit applications for host organizations. Organizations eligible to host an Initiative include:
- State departments of agriculture or other state entities.
- Cooperative extension services.
- Institutions of higher education.
- Nonprofit organizations.
These eligible organizations must have the capacity to provide consultation and expertise necessary to advance the purpose and activities of DBI Initiatives and expertise in grant distribution and tracking. Dairy promotion programs are ineligible to host an initiative.
For more information, contact AMSGrants@usda.gov.