Crop Shipping Season: September 1 through July 31.
Fiscal Year: August 1 through July 31.
Production Area: Florida, except the area west of the Suwannee River
The marketing order authorizes quality regulations, research and promotion programs, as well as markings, pack, and container regulations and volume control for citrus grown in Florida. The order became effective in 1939 and was last amended under formal rulemaking on March 2, 2016. View the full regulation.
- Quality Regulations: The marketing order authorizes grade, size, maturity, and quality regulations to maintain citrus quality shipped to consumers. Grade and size requirements are in effect for citrus shipped to destinations outside of the production area. These requirements established for Florida grapefruit also apply to imported grapefruit year-round due to 8e requirements.
- 8e Requirements: 8e requirements specify that imported commodities must meet the same or comparable minimum grade, size, quality, and maturity requirements, as those specified under this marketing order. Learn about Importing Grapefruit.
- Research and Promotion: The marketing order authorizes production research, marketing promotion and development, to include paid advertising. No projects in these areas are currently active.
- Markings, pack, and container regulations: The marketing order authorizes regulations on the markings or labeling, size, capacity, and weight of the containers used to ship citrus to the export market.
- Volume Control: The marketing order authorizes volume regulations for specific varieties, but is not in effect. Shipping holidays are authorized during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday seasons.
The Citrus Administrative Committee is comprised of 18 members and their alternates. Nine members and alternates are grower members; eight members and alternates are shipper members; and one member and alternate represent the public. All members serve two-year terms of office that run from August 1 through July 31. Members may serve a maximum of three consecutive terms. Producer members are nominated at producer nomination meetings. Handler members are nominated at handler nomination meetings. View a list of members and alternates.
Peter Chaires, Manager, Citrus Administrative Committee
P.O. Box 941058
Maitland FL 32794
Phone: (321) 214-5252
Cell: (407) 765-5940
Fax: (321) 214-0223
Director, Market Development Division
Specialty Crops Program, Agricultural Marketing Service
Phone: (202) 720-8085