Tomato sauce is the concentrated product prepared from the liquid extracted from mature, sound, whole tomatoes; the sound residue from preparing such tomatoes for canning; the residue from partial extraction of juice; reconstituted or remanufactured tomato paste; or any combination of these ingredients to which is added salt and spices. One or more nutritive sweetening ingredients, a vinegar or vinegars, onion, garlic, or other vegetable flavoring ingredients may be added. The food is preserved by heat sterilization (canning), refrigeration, or freezing. When sealed in a container to be held at ambient temperatures, it is so processed by heat, before or after sealing, as to prevent spoilage. The refractive index of the tomato sauce at 20 degrees Celsius is not less than 1.3455.
Grades of Tomato Sauce
U.S. Grade A is the quality of tomato sauce that meets the applicable requirements of Table I.
U.S. Grade B is the quality of tomato sauce that meets the applicable requirements of Table I.
- Substandard is the quality of tomato sauce that fails to meet the requirements for "U.S. Grade B.”
Color Standards for Tomato Products are available for Purchase. See How to Purchase Visual Aids for more details.
Instructions for Use and Care of the Visual Color Standards for Tomato Products, including additional technical guidance is found in the Fresh and Processed Equipment Catalog (pdf). Look in the Processed Fruits, Vegetables, and Specialty Products section on Care and Use Guides.
Detailed standards, Inspection Instructions & Other Resources:
- U.S. Grade Standards for Tomato Sauce (pdf)
- Inspection Instructions for Tomato Sauce (pdf)
- 21 CFR § 156.145 - Tomato Juice
- A-478 Solids Determination
- AOAC Official Method 955.46 Filth in Tomato Products
- AOAC Official Method 965.41 Mold in Tomato Products
- AOAC Official Method 984.29 Mold in Tomato Products
- Certification Manual
- Condition of Container Manual
- Determination of Consistency of Tomato Products (pdf)
- Domestic Origin Verification (DOV) Program Manual
- Foreign Material Manual
- FDA Defect Action Level
- General Procedures Manual
- Methods of Analyses for Tomato Products Mold Count (pdf)
- Methods of Analyses for Tomato Products Solid Content Determinations (pdf)
- Methods of Analyses for Tomato Products Fly Egg and Maggot Determination (pdf)
- Methods of Analyses for Tomato Products Sand and Inorganic Residue Determination (pdf)
- Safety Manual
- Sampling Manual
- Sanitation Manual
- SC-364-118 Score Sheet for Tomato Sauce
- Technical Procedures Manual
- Tomato Products Spectrophotometer Studies (pdf)
- USDA Purchases Manual