Canned apples is the product prepared from sound, fresh apples of proper maturity and proper ripeness, which fruit is packed with or without any of the following ingredients: Water, salt, spices, nutritive sweetening ingredients, and any other ingredients permissible under the provision of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, and is sufficiently processed by heat to assure preservation of the product in hermetically sealed containers.
Grades of Canned Apples
- U.S. Grade A or U.S. Fancy is the quality of canned apples that possess similar varietal characteristics; that possess a normal flavor and odor; that possess a good color; that are practically uniform in size; that are practically free from defects; that possess a good character; and that score not less than 85 points when scored in accordance with the scoring system outlined in this subpart: Provided, that the canned apples may be fairly uniform in size, if the total score is not less than 85 points.
- U.S. Grade C or U.S. Standard is the quality of canned apples that possess similar varietal characteristics; that possess a normal flavor and odor; that possess a fairly good color; that are fairly uniform in size; that are fairly free from defects; that possess a fairly good character; and that score not less than 70 points when scored in accordance with the scoring system outlined in this subpart.
- Substandard is the quality of canned apples that fails to meet the requirements of U.S. Grade C or U.S. Standard.
- Area Measurement Guide
- Headspace Gauge
- Inspection Aid 116 Scoring Guide for Canned Apples (pdf)
See How to Purchase Inspection Aids for more details.
Detailed standards, Inspection Instructions & Other Resources:
- U.S. Grade Standards for Canned Apples (pdf)
- Inspection Instructions for Canned Apple (pdf)
- Certification Manual
- Condition of Container Manual
- FDA Food Defect Action Levels
- Foreign Material Manual
- General Procedures Manual
- Safety Manual
- Sampling Manual
- Sanitation Manual
- SC 364-1 Score Sheet for Canned Apples
- Technical Procedures Manual
- U.S. Standards for Determination of Fill Weights
- U.S. Standards for Inspection by Variables