Under this program, eligible dairy organizations partner with non-profit organizations that distribute food to low income individuals. Those partnerships may apply for and receive limited reimbursements to cover expenses related to certain fluid milk product donations.
In the 2018 Farm Bill, Congress directed USDA to develop the program to reduce food waste and provide nutrition assistance to low-income individuals. Congress authorized $9 million for the program in Fiscal Year 2019, and $5 million per fiscal year thereafter.
Interested partnerships must apply for 2019 and 2020 program participation by submitting a completed Milk Donation and Distribution Plan, for each year, no later than November 6, 2019. See below for information on how to apply and claim reimbursement.
Submit the following to apply for program eligibility:
- Milk Donation and Distribution Plan Form (pdf)
- Plant and Distributor Location Information Spreadsheet (xls)
Once approved for program eligibility, submit the following to claim reimbursement (these forms will be posted at a later date):
- MDRP Reimbursement Claim
- MDRP Claim Spreadsheet
Submit all forms to MDRP@usda.gov
Additional Program Information
- Milk Donation Reimbursement Program (MDRP): What Do I Need to Know?
- Federal Register Notice published September 5, 2019
- Commodity Specifications for Fluid Milk and Milk Products Eligible for the Milk Donation Reimbursement Program (pdf)
- Emily DeBord: 202-720-5567
- Send inquiries to: MDRP@usda.gov