Under this program, eligible dairy organizations partner with non-profit organizations that distribute food to low-income individuals. Those partnerships may apply for and receive limited reimbursements to cover expenses related to certain fluid milk product donations.
In the 2018 Farm Bill, Congress directed USDA to develop the program to reduce food waste and provide nutrition assistance to low-income individuals. Congress authorized $9 million for the program in Fiscal Year 2019, and $5 million per fiscal year thereafter.
Interested partnerships must apply for 2019, 2020, and 2021 program participation by submitting a completed Milk Donation and Distribution Plan, for each fiscal year. Applications for FY19 and FY20 will be accepted through October 30, 2020. Applications for FY21 will be accepted through March 31, 2021. See below for information on how to apply and claim reimbursement. Claims for reimbursement for FY19 and FY20 will be accepted through December 31, 2020.
This webinar provides information on the program and how to apply.
Submit the following to apply for program eligibility:
- Milk Donation and Distribution Plan Form (pdf)
- Plant and Distributor Location Information Spreadsheet (xls)
Once approved for program eligibility, you will receive the following forms via email to submit for reimbursement:
- MDRP Reimbursement Form
- MDRP Claim Spreadsheet
Submit all forms to MDRP@usda.gov
Additional Program Information
- Notice to Trade: USDA Announces Milk Donation Reimbursement Program Application Deadline for Fiscal Year 2021
- Notice to Trade: USDA Announces Issuance of Approvals for Milk Donation Reimbursement Program
- Notice to Trade: USDA Extends Application Deadline for Milk Donation Reimbursement Program to December 6, 2019
- Milk Donation Reimbursement Program (MDRP): What Do I Need to Know?
- Federal Register Notice published September 5, 2019
- Press Release: USDA Removes Red Tape and Extends Application Deadline to Increase Milk Donations, Program Modifications will help American dairy processors donate more milk for distribution to low-income individuals
- Commodity Specifications for Fluid Milk and Milk Products Eligible for the Milk Donation Reimbursement Program (pdf)
- Emily DeBord: 202-720-5567
- Send inquiries to: MDRP@usda.gov