Effective with contracts awarded on or after September 1, 2021, USDA Foods vendors will be required to submit product information to GS1 Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN) by December 31, 2021 for a select number of items purchased for the National School Lunch Program. This initiative will help to fulfill a requirement in the National School Lunch Act to make nutrition, allergen and ingredient information available for participants of the National School Lunch Program.
The resources listed below are intended for vendors participating in the USDA Foods program. State agencies and school foodservice operators may visit the Food and Nutrition Service’s website to access nutrition, allergen, and ingredient information for select USDA Foods for the National School Lunch Program.
Key Resources for USDA Foods Vendors
- GS1 US University Learning Management System – GS1 US has created a training portal with videos offered exclusively to USDA Foods vendors. To access the training portal, please e-mail CPPNPDNutrition@usda.gov to obtain instructions for logging into the system.
- Webinar (April 21, 2022): USDA Foods In Schools: GS1 GDSN® Resources for USDA Foods Vendors
- List of Required Products for GS1 GDSN Reporting (xlsx)
- Data Synchronization Implementation Guide
- USDA Data Synchronization Implementation Guide
- USDA Foods vendors may begin data synchronization with the USDA FNS Food Distribution Global Location Number (GLN) on September 1, 2021. The USDA FNS Food Distribution GLN is 0861583000319.
- Tips for Successful Publication to GS1 GDSN for USDA Foods in Schools (pdf)
- Tips for Compliance with the GS1 GDSN Requirement (pdf)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Timeline for Compliance: Infographic (pdf)
- Project Partners: Infographic (pdf)
- Example of Monthly Report of Nutrition, Allergen, and Ingredient Information (pdf)
- On a monthly basis, USDA will compile the nutrition, allergen, and ingredient information submitted in GS1 GDSN into a report that will be shared with State agencies and school foodservice operators. The monthly report will be publicly available on the Food and Nutrition Service’s website.
- Determination of Creditable Portion
- For assistance with calculating the creditable portion of meat/meat alternate and grain products, vendors may visit the Food Buying Guide for Child Nutrition Programs Interactive Web-Based Tool, sign in as a “Vendor”, and access the Product Formulation Statement Workbook tool.