- U.S. No. 1 consists of sweetpotatoes of similar type which are reasonably firm, fairly well shaped, fairly well colored and which are free from soft rot, black rot, freezing injury, scald, cork or other internal discoloration, cull material and which are free from damage caused by dry rot other than black rot, other diseases, bruises, cuts, growth cracks, pithiness, stringiness, sunburn, insects, mechanical or other means.
a. Unless otherwise specified, the diameter of each sweetpotato or usable piece shall be not less than 1 inch nor more than 2-1/4 inches, and the length shall be not less than 2 inches nor more than 7 inches.
b. Tolerances for off-size: 15 percent, by weight, for sweetpotatoes in any lot which fail to meet the length and diameter requirements, including therein not more than the following amounts:
1. 3 percent for sweetpotatoes which are smaller than the specified minimum diameter;
2. 10 percent for sweetpotatoes which are larger than the specified maximum diameter;
3. 5 percent for sweetpotatoes which are shorter than the specified minimum length; and,
4. 10 percent for sweetpotatoes which are longer than the specified maximum length.
Detailed standards, Inspection Instructions & Other Resources: