Grades of Grapes for Processing and Freezing
- U.S. Grade No. 1 consists of grapes and juice which meet the following requirements:
a. Basic requirements:
1) Mature; and,
2) Similar varietal characteristics.
b. Free from:
2) Visible mold;
3) Immature berries;
6) Attached insects or insect injury; and,
7) Foreign material.
c. Free from damage by any cause. (See §51.2159.)
d. For tolerances, see §51.2153.
- U.S. No. 2 consists of grapes and juice which meet the requirements of the U.S. No. 1 grade except:
a. Berries shall be at least fairly well matured; and,
b. Increased tolerances for defects and foreign material. (See §51.2153.)
1) percent may be permitted for berries affected by mold or decay, and not more than 2 percent for dried berries or those affected by berry moth.
Detailed standards, Inspection Instructions & Other Resources: