Grades of Fresh Cranberries for Processing
- U.S. No.1 consists of fresh cranberries which are clean, mature, fairly well colored and which are not soft or decayed and which are free from worms or worm holes and which are free from damage caused by bruises, scars, freezing, sunscald, foreign material, disease, insects or mechanical or other means.
- The minimum diameter shall be nine-thirty-seconds of an inch.
- Incident to proper grading and handling, the following tolerances, by count, shall be permitted in any lot:
- 3 percent for cranberries which fail to meet the size requirement;
- 20 percent for cranberries which fail to meet the color requirements for individual cranberries;
- 10 percent for cranberries which fail to meet the remaining requirements of the grade but not more than one-half of this amount, or 5 percent, shall be allowed for berries which have worm holes or which are soft or affected by decay: Provided, That an additional tolerance of 2 percent for berries which are soft or affected by decay, or a total of not more than 7 percent, for berries which have worm holes or which are soft or affected by decay, shall be allowed en route or at destination: And provided further, That not more than one-half of 1 percent, included in the above tolerances, shall be allowed for Black Rot; and,
- One-tenth (1/10) of 1 percent for cranberries infested with worms.