Bulk or barreled sauerkraut, hereinafter referred to as sauerkraut or bulk sauerkraut is the product of characteristic acid flavor, obtained by the full fermentation, chiefly lactic, of properly prepared and shredded cabbage in the presence of not less than 2 percent nor more than 3 percent of salt. It contains, upon completion of the fermentation, not less than 1.5 percent of acid, expressed as lactic acid.
Grades of Bulk Sauerkraut
U.S. Grade (First Quality) bulk sauerkraut is of a color approximating, or is lighter than Olive Buff (according to Ridgway's Color Standards and Nomenclature), with the shreds uniformly cut to approximately 1/32-inch in thickness. The product is practically free from defects and blemishes; is of fine, crisp texture; possesses a normal, well developed, sauerkraut flavor; and scores not less than 85 points when scored according to the scoring system outline herein.
U.S. Grade C (Second Quality) bulk sauerkraut may have a variable straw color, but not darker than Dark Olive Buff (according to Ridgway's Color Standards and Nomenclature); the shreds may lack uniformity of thickness. The product is reasonably free from defects and blemishes; is of reasonably fine, crisp texture; possesses a normal sauerkraut flavor; and scores not less than 70 points and need not score more than 84 points when scored according to the scoring system outlined herein.
- Substandard bulk sauerkraut is sauerkraut that fails to meet the requirements of the foregoing grades or when any one of the grading factors falls in the D classification.
Detailed standards, Inspection Instructions & Other Resources:
- U.S. Grade Standards for Bulk Sauerkraut (pdf)
- Foreign Material Manual
- Certification Manual
- Condition of Container Manual
- General Procedures Manual
- Safety Manual
- Sampling Manual
- Sanitation Manual
- Technical Procedures Manual
- U.S. Standards for Determination of Fill Weights
- U.S. Standards for Inspection by Variables
- AOAC Official Method 955.45 Filth on Sauerkraut
- SC 364-62 Score Sheet for Bulk Sauerkraut