(a) These standards apply only to selected and hybrid varieties of the highbush (Vaccinium australe Small and Vaccinium corymbosum L.) and rabbiteye (Vaccinium ashei Reade) blueberries produced under cultivation, but not to other species of the genus Vaccinium nor to the true huckleberries of the genus Gaylussacia.
(b) Because of the size differences between varieties and the difference in size preference in various markets, there are no size requirements in the grade. Therefore, size will not be determined unless specifically requested by the applicant.
Grades of Blueberries
- U.S. No. 1. - U.S. No. 1" consists of blueberries which meet the following requirements:
- Similar varietal characteristics;
- Well colored;
- Not overripe;
- Not crushed, split, or leaking; and,
- Not wet.
- Attached stems;
- Insects or when there is visible evidence of the presence of insects;
- Mummified berries; and,
- Broken skins;
- Green berries; and,
- Other means.
- U.S. Grade Standards for Blueberries (pdf)
- Shipping Point and Market lnspection Instructions for Blueberries (pdf)
- Unofficial Blueberry Visual Aid (pdf)