The National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) plans to meet in Sacramento, California in October 2022. The in-person meeting will be webcast live for those who are not able to travel. Should an in-person meeting not be possible, the meeting will be held virtually. Updates will be posted on this web page.
The NOSB will meet to discuss substances petitioned for addition to or deletion from the National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances (National List), substances due to sunset from the National List in 2024, and recommendations on organic policies.
The NOSB typically meets twice per year in various locations around the United States. During meetings, the NOSB listens to public comments, discusses agenda items, and then votes on recommendations to the Secretary in a public forum. Detailed meeting information, including agendas, locations, proposals, and public comments, will be posted below as it becomes available. For information on previous meetings, visit the NOSB meetings page.
NOSB Fall Meeting 2022 dates:
- Public Comment Webinar
- Day 1: Tuesday, October 18 from Noon - 5:00 pm Eastern
- Day 2: Thursday, October 20 from Noon - 5:00 pm Eastern
NOSB Public Meeting
Day 1: Tuesday, October 25 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Pacific
Day 2: Wednesday, October 26 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Pacific
Day 3: Thursday, October 27 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Pacific
- Draft Meeting Agenda (pdf)
- Meeting Materials (All Proposals and Discussion Documents) (pdf)
- Subcommittee Proposals (Individual proposals)
- Federal Register Notice of Meeting
Post Meeting Resources
- National Organic Program Update, a recorded presentation is available in the Organic Integrity Learning Center (OILC) at Course “NOP-998 – NOP Presentations.” Scroll down to access the NOP Update Presentation for Fall 2022 NOSB Meeting. If you would like a free OILC account, read “Getting Started” to sign up from the Organic Training Web page.
- National Organic Program Update – Part 2 (slides only) (pdf)
- Organic Farming Research Foundation Presentation (pdf)
- Meeting Transcripts (pdf)
- Voting Summary (pdf)
- Final NOSB Recommendations
- NOP Response to the NOSB Recommendations
How to Participate
The NOSB invites the public to submit written comments and/or provide oral comments before each of its public meetings.
The written comment period is now closed. Please visit Regulations.gov (Docket # AMS-NOP-22-0042) to read comments submitted to the NOSB
Oral comment registration is closed. The deadline to register for an oral comment slot was 11:59 p.m. Eastern on September 29, 2022. If you would like to be added to the waitlist, please email Michelle Arsenault at email@example.com by no later than October 11, 2022. Comments will be heard via Zoom.
- Commenters are limited to one 3-minute speaking slot to accommodate the greatest number of people.
- Proxy speakers are not allowed.
- When you are called on to speak, you must state your name and affiliation for the record.
- Clear, concise comments specific to NOSB agenda items are most useful.
- After your comment, the NOSB members are invited to ask you questions.
- If you are not present when the NOSB Chair calls your name, the Chair will move to the next speaker. We may be able to revisit the list of missed speakers at the end of each day.
- Video cameras are optional, and you may deliver your comments with audio only.
Questions? Email NOSB Advisory Committee Specialist Michelle Arsenault or call 202-997-0115