Onions Grown in South Texas; Increased Assessment Rate. Docket Number: AMS-FV-12-0039; FV12-959-1 FR. EFFECTIVE: April 23, 2013. [Notice PDF
- Commodity Regulated: Onions grown in South Texas
- Crop Shipping Season: March 1 through July 15
- Fiscal Year: August 1 through July 31
- Production Area(s): 35 Counties in South Texas
- Order Authority and Regulations: Grade, size, quality, and container and pack regulations are authorized under the order. Requirements are currently in effect, except for container and pack requirements. The grade, size, quality, and maturity requirements established under the order are also applied to imported onions from early March to early June.
- Research and Promotion: The order authorizes production research, and marketing research and development projects. These programs are currently in effect.
- 8e Requirements: The 8e requirements specify that imported commodities must meet the same or comparable minimum grade, size, quality, and maturity requirements as those specified under this marketing order.
- The order was promulgated on January 25, 1961, and the order was last amended on February 29, 2008.
Committee Structure: The South Texas Onion Committee consists of 10 producers, 7 handlers, and their alternates. Members serve a 2-year term of office that begins August 1. Terms of office are staggered so that approximately one-half of the committee is elected each year. Producers nominate producer members, and handlers nominate handler members. Usually two nomination meetings are held in District 1 (Coastal Bend-Lower Valley) and District 2 (Laredo-Winter Garden). Both handlers and producers are nominated at each district meeting.
Committee Staff: The Committee has entered into a joint-management agreement with the Texas Produce Association and shares the staff of the Association.
John McClung, Manager, South Texas Onion Committee, 901 Business Park Drive, Suite 500, Mission, Texas 78572; Phone: (956) 581-2190. Web site: www.texasproduceassociation.com/who/structure.asp
AMS Contact: Director, Marketing Order and Agreement Division, Fruit and Vegetable Program, Agricultural Marketing Service; Phone: (202) 720-2491.