Farmers markets are an integral part of the urban/farm linkage and have continued to rise in popularity, mostly due to the growing consumer interest in obtaining fresh products directly from the farm. Farmers markets allow consumers to have access to locally grown, farm fresh produce, enables farmers the opportunity to develop a personal relationship with their customers, and cultivate consumer loyalty with the farmers who grows the produce.
Direct marketing of farm products through farmers markets continues to be an important sales outlet for agricultural producers nationwide. As of National Farmers Market Week (pdf), (the first full week in August), there were 8,771 farmers markets listed in USDA’s National Farmers Market Directory. This is a 6 percent increase since 2014.
USDA Farmers Market
Now in its 24th year, USDA’s farmers market is a living demonstration of USDA’s dedication to supporting local and regional food systems and increasing consumer access to fresh, healthy foods in our community.
Local Food Directories
USDA's Local Food Directories help you locate farmers markets, on-farm markets, Community Supported Agriculture, and food hubs. The directories are managed and operated by the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS), a USDA agency with the core mission of facilitating the fair and efficient marketing of U.S. agricultural products.
- National Count of Farmers Market Directory Listings Graph: 1994-2019 (pdf)
- Geographic Coordinates Spreadsheet for U.S. Farmers Markets (xls)
- Farmers Market Directory API
- Farmers Market Directory data
- Search all publications and presentations
- Local Food Research and Technical Assistance Archives
- National Study of Commercial Farming in Urban Areas (Summary) September 2019
- Lessons learned from public investment in local and regional meat and poultry processing activities
- Potential Demand for Local Fresh Produce by Mobile Markets
- A Practitioner’s Guide to Conducting an Economic Impact Assessment of Regional Food Hubs using IMPLAN: A Systematic Approach
- Guide to Farmers Markets on Military Installations
- Farmers Market Manager Survey Summary Report 2014 (pdf)
- Mapping Competition Zones for Vendors and Customers in U.S. Farmers Markets (pdf)
- Results of Dot Survey: USDA Outdoor Farmers Market, Washington, DC (pdf)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) at Farmers Markets: A How-To Handbook (A joint publication by: USDA Agricultural Marketing Service, USDA Food and Nutrition Service, Project for Public Spaces, Inc.) (pdf)
- Connecting Local Farmers with USDA Farmers Market Nutrition Program Participants (pdf)
- 2016 Farmers Market Promotion Program Highlights (pdf)
- 2016 Farmers Market Promotion Program Report (pdf)
- Why Local Food Matters: The Rising Importance of Locally Grown Food in the U.S. Food System (pdf)
- Assessing the Economic Impact of Regional Food Hubs: The Case of Regional Access Presentation (pdf)
- Assessing the Economic Impact of Regional Food Hubs: The Case of Regional Access Report (pdf)
- Emerging Marketing and Business Strategies (pdf)