The USDA Agricultural Marketing Service is establishing the Local Food for Schools Cooperative Agreement Program (LFS). With funding made available through USDA’s Commodity Credit Corporation, USDA will help states deal with the challenges of supply chain disruptions brought on by the pandemic. Through the LFS program, USDA will award up to $200 million to states for food assistance purchases of domestic local foods for distribution to schools. This program will strengthen the food system for schools by helping to build a fair, competitive, and resilient local food chain, and expand local and regional markets with an emphasis on purchasing from historically underserved producers and processors.
Eligible state governments can apply now at www.grants.gov
All AMS grant and cooperative agreements include the AMS General Terms and Conditions as part of the Notice of Award and Grant Agreement. More information is provided in the most recent version of the AMS General Terms and Conditions (pdf) under the Administrative and National Policy Requirements section.
- List of Signed Local Food for Schools Cooperative Agreement Program
- State Agency Provided Contacts - These contacts were provided by state agencies as a resource for more information about LFS opportunities at the state level.
- LFS AMS-USDA Contacts
- NASDA GroupGAP Toolkit – Many growers and handlers demonstrate a commitment to food safety through third-party audits known as a Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) certification. The toolkit helps producers understand GAP certification and how it can benefit their farm, and shows the steps to achieving certification and how to find help.
- LFS Guidance on Payment Options
- Frequently Asked Questions - updated 7/7/2022
- LFS Request for Application (pdf) - updated 7/18/2022
- LFS Project Narrative (pdf)
- USDA Now Accepting Applications for the Local Food for Schools Cooperative Agreement Program, Providing Up To $200 Million to Purchase Local Food for Schools
- USDA Distributes $1.5 Billion to Strengthen School Meal Program
- Sign up for Gov Delivery updates
For questions, email MRP.AMS.LFS@usda.gov