The USDA Agricultural Marketing Service is establishing the Local Food Purchase Assistance Cooperative Agreement Program (LFPA). The LFPA program is part of the “Build Back Better” initiative, authorized by the American Rescue Plan. The purpose of this program is to maintain and improve food and agricultural supply chain resiliency and program will award up to $400 million through non-competitive cooperative agreements with state and tribal governments to support local, regional, and underserved producers through the purchase of domestic local foods. Local and regional farmers and ranchers are those within the state or 400 miles of delivery destination. The cooperative agreements will allow for state and tribal governments to procure and distribute local and regional foods and beverages that are healthy, nutritious and unique to their geographic area. The food will meet the needs of the population, and serve feeding programs, including food banks, schools and organizations that reach underserved communities. In addition to increasing local food consumption, funds will help build and expand economic opportunity for local and socially disadvantaged producers.
Eligible state and tribal governments can apply now at www.grants.gov
All AMS grant and cooperative agreements include the AMS General Terms and Conditions as part of the Notice of Award and Grant Agreement. More information is provided in the most recent version of the AMS General Terms and Conditions under the Administrative and National Policy Requirements section.
Grant applications must be submitted on Grants.gov by 11:59 PM EST on May 20, 2022 (the previous deadline of May 6, 2022 has been extended).
- List of Signed Local Food Purchase Assistance Cooperative Agreements
- LFPA Program Overview One-Pager (pdf) updated on 5/11/2022
- Media Toolkit
- Outreach Resources
- LFPA Regional Contacts - These are the USDA AMS LFPA contacts assigned by region for technical support.
- State Agency Provided Contacts (Updated on 11/4/2022) - These contacts were provided by state agencies as a resource for more information about LFPA opportunities at the state level.
- Recording of LFPA Webinar, December, 16, 2021
- LFPA Webinar Presentation Slides, December 16, 2021 (pptx)
- LFPA Progress Report Instructions (pdf)
- Budget One Pager (pdf)
- Request for Applications Version 3 (pdf) updated 5/6/2022
- Project Narrative (pdf)
- Frequently Asked Questions - Updated 03-16-2022
For questions, email LFPA@USDA.gov