The USDA Farmers to Families Food Box Program ended May 31
Organizations interested in distributing USDA Foods in their community should contact their State Distributing Agency to learn how to become a TEFAP local agency. View the complete list of State agency contacts.
To date USDA contractors have delivered 173,699,775 boxes of fresh produce, milk, dairy and cooked meats to disadvantaged Americans across the country
35.7 million food boxes invoiced in round one (May 15-June 30)
50.8 million food boxes invoiced in round two (July 1-August 31)
15.2 million food boxes invoiced in round two extensions (September 1 - September 18)
18.8 million food boxes invoiced in BOA Contracts (September 22 - October 31)
12.4 million food boxes invoiced in round four (November 1 - December 31)
40.7 million food boxes invoiced in round five (January 19 - April 30)
Updated May 28, 2021
Payments to distributors under the Farmers to Families Food Box Program are only made upon the submission of an invoice documenting evidence of delivery and adherence to contractual requirements.
If you would like to know where Farmers to Families Food Boxes will be available in your area or work for a non-profit food assistance agency interested in distributing Farmers to Families Food Boxes, you can find information about food box distributors and the areas they serve at https://www.ams.usda.gov/selling-food-to-usda/farmers-to-families-food-box/approved-contractors-round-five
As part of the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program announced on April 17, USDA is exercising authority under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act to purchase and distribute agricultural products to those in need. Through this program, USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) is partnering with national, regional and local distributors, whose workforces have been significantly impacted by the closure of restaurants, hotels and other food service businesses, to purchase up to $6 billion in fresh produce, dairy and meat products from American producers of all sizes. Distributors package these products into family-sized boxes, then transport them to food banks, community and faith-based organizations, and other non-profits serving Americans in need.
The first round of purchases occurred from May 15 through June 30, 2020 and saw more than 35.5 million boxes delivered in the first 45 days. In the second round of purchasing and distribution, which began July 1 and concluded Sep. 18, 2020, USDA purchased more than $1.781 billion of food through extended contracts of select vendors from the first round of the program as well as new contracts focused on Opportunity Zones in order to direct food to reach underserved areas, places where either no boxes have yet been delivered, or where boxes are being delivered but where there is additional need. The third round of the program was announced July 24, 2020, and the President announced on Aug. 24, 2020, that up to an additional $1 billion was being made available for deliveries through Oct. 31, 2020. USDA announced contracts for the third round on Sept. 17, 2020. By the end of the third round on Oct. 31, USDA purchased more than $3.566 billion worth of food. The fourth round of the program was announced on Oct. 23, 2020, and purchased a total of $463 million worth of food delivered between Nov. 1 through Dec. 31, 2020. The fourth round was funded by an additional $500 million made available through supplemental appropriations provided to the Secretary in the CARES Act.
In the current fifth round of purchases, USDA will purchase up to $1.5 billion worth of food for delivery through the end of May. The additional funding for the program was included in the COVID-19 relief package as part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act passed December 21, 2020. USDA will again purchase combination boxes to ensure all involved recipient organizations have access to fresh produce, dairy products, fluid milk and meat products, and seafood products will also be included in this round.
For details on purchases, visit the solicitations page.
Round Five Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- Round Five Approved Contractors
- BOA Amendment 3 - Box Content and Labelling Additions and Clarifications (pdf)
- BOA Amendment 4 - Status of New Proposal Submissions (pdf)
- Current Basic Ordering Agreement Holders (pdf)
Round Four Farmers to Families Food Box Program (BOA Holders)
Round Three Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- Round Three Approved Contractors
- Round Three Approved Contractors by State and County (pdf)
- Current Basic Ordering Agreement Holders
- Solicitation - Full Text (pdf)
- Solicitation - Amendment 1 (pdf)
- Solicitation - Amendment 2 (pdf)
- Solicitation - Submission Spreadsheet (xls)
- Webinar Presentation (pdf) | Webinar Recording
- Amendment Webinar Presentation (pdf)
Farmers to Families Food Box Program Outreach Materials
Available for use by program participants.
Round One and Round Two Program Information
- Approved Contractors for the Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- Farmers to Families Food Box Program FAQs
Request for Proposal and Applicable Attachments, round one (May 15-June 30) and round two (July 1-August 31)
- RFP Frequently Asked Questions - updated 4/30/2020
- RFP - ER Acquisition (pdf)
- RFP - ER Acquisition Amendment 1 (pdf)
- RFP Attachment 1 Emergency Acquisition MSCP (pdf)
- RFP Attachment 2 Compilation of TEFAP sites for AMS (xls)
Farmers to Families Food Box Program Announcements
- January 19, 2021 - USDA Announces Contracts for Round 5 of the Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- January 4, 2021 - USDA Announces Continuation of the Farmers to Families Food Box Program, Fifth Round of Food Purchases
- October 30, 2020 - USDA Announces Contracts for Round 4 of the Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- October 23, 2020 - USDA Announces Fourth Round of the Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- September 29, 2020 - Farmers to Families Food Box Program Surpasses 100 Million Boxes Delivered
- September 17, 2020 - USDA Announces Contracts for Round 3 of the Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- August 28, 2020 - Farmers to Families Food Box Program Reaches 75 Million Boxes Delivered
- August 25, 2020 - Trump Administration Announces Additional $1 billion for the Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- July 29, 2020 - Farmers to Families Food Box Program Reaches 50 Million Boxes Delivered
- July 24, 2020 - USDA Announces a Third Round of Farmers to Families Food Box Program Purchases
- June 23, 2020 - USDA Farmers to Families Food Box Program Reaches 20 Million Boxes Distributed
- June 17, 2020 - USDA Extends Farmers to Families Food Box Program Contracts for Some Vendors
- June 4, 2020 - USDA Farmers to Families Food Box Program Reaches 5 Million Boxes Distributed
- May 8, 2020 - USDA Approves $1.2 billion in Contracts for Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- April 27, 2020 - USDA Provides Additional Details on the Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- April 27, 2020 - USDA Hosts Webinar for Farmers, Shippers and Suppliers Interested in Participating in the Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- April 19, 2020 - USDA to Purchase Up to $3 Billion in Agricultural Commodities, Issue Solicitations for Interested Participants
Tuesday, July 28, 2020, at 3 p.m. (ET) - A webinar that discusses technical details of USDA’s solicitation for the third round of purchases for the program.
Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 2 p.m. (ET) - a webinar for farmers, shippers and other suppliers interested in participating in the Farmers to Families Food Box Program. This webinar is an opportunity for these parties to learn how to move their food through this new program for produce, dairy and meat products.
- View the Zoom Meeting Recording Access Password: 9f@a7VV8
Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 12 p.m. (ET) - a webinar to discuss technical details for the Request for Proposals
Tuesday, April 21, 2020 – an informational webinar discussing Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP) and providing overview of Farm to Families Food Box Program
Participants: David Tuckwiller, Christopher Purdy, Elizabeth Lober, Hilary Cole
AMS Administrator Discusses Farmers to Families Food Box Program
Call with distributors and non-profit organizations to overview the Farmers to Families Food Box Program portion of the recent $19 billion CFAP announcement. The call took place April 20, 2020.
Participants: Bruce Summers, Administrator, AMS, Mike Beatty, Director, Office of Partnerships and Public Engagement, Brandon Lipps, Deputy Under Secretary for Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services