In this multi-part video series, farmers discuss their firsthand experiences with obtaining organic certification—and why they decided to pursue it. Small video segments show viewers how the USDA organic regulations translate to practices on the ground by following a direct market farmer on his journey through the organic certification process. The video also provides a step-by-step overview of organic production requirements and the process of organic certification—by farmers, for farmers.
The video is broken into “bite-size” segments that provide information from the perspectives of certified organic direct-market farmers as well as an accredited certifier. The videos highlight the real benefits of organic certification, demystify perceived barriers, and outline how farmers can overcome real-life challenges during the certification and renewal process. While the focus is primarily on the perspectives of direct-market farmers, any business pursuing certification may find valuable insights.
Resource development: Created in partnership with Florida Organic Growers – FOG
Bite by Bite
1. Why Get Certified Organic?
- Growers’ Perspectives
- What Does “Organic” Mean?
- What Does Organic Certification Cost?
- Consumers’ Perspectives
2. Considerations Before Certification
- Why Consider Organic Certification?
- Three-year Transition
- Communicating With Your Certifier to Avoid Mistakes
- Marketing Opportunities with Organic Certification
4. The Application
- What is an Organic Systems Plan?
- Organic Production: A Systems Approach
- Advice from the Field: Experiences with Organic Systems Plans
6. Inspection: Preparation and What to Expect
8. Split/Parallel Operations
9. Accessing Certified Organic Grower Resources