Official inspections result in the issuance of official certificates. Certificates report the grade of the grain inspected based on characteristics such as test weight, moisture, cleanliness, and damage. Certificates are issued for the various grains for which standards exist under the U.S. Grain Standards Act and Agricultural Marketing Act of 1946.
Certificates are the final product in the chain of official inspection services. They document the official procedures followed; date, location of the inspection or weighing process, and provide specific service results factor-by-factor or by service requested.
- Official Export Inspection Certificate: mandatory export grain inspection.
- Official Grain Weight Certificate: mandatory export grain weighing.
- Official Sample-Lot Inspection: domestic grain lots.
- Warehouseman's Sample-Lot Inspection: sampled using official procedures by elevator employees licensed by FGIS, but inspected by official personnel.
- Submitted Sample Inspection: grain samples submitted by the applicant to official personnel for inspection.
- Official Stowage Examination Certificate: certifies results of an official stowage examination for grain, rice, or commodities.
- Commodity Inspection Certificate: domestic and export graded and processed commodities.
- Commodity Weight Certificate: domestic and export graded and processed commodities.
- Commodity Submitted Sample Inspection: commodity samples submitted by the applicant to official personnel for inspection.
- Rice Inspection Services Certificate: domestic and export rice inspection.
- Official Commercial Sample Lot Inspection: when an applicant requests sample-lot services with modified procedures to accommodate the applicant's needs, however, sampling services by official are provided, e.g., using an open-throated probe versus a compartmented probe (speed of sampling).
- Official Commercial Submitted Sample Inspection: same as previous with applicants sampling the lots themselves.
- Supervision of Grain Weight Certificate: approved elevator weighing personnel using approved equipment and official procedures for domestic grain weighing.
For information about Official Certificates, please contact Policies Procedures Market Analysis Branch, FGISPoliciesProceduresMarketAnalysisBranch@usda.gov