“Rock the Red” with us this Friday, August 11 at the USDA Farmers Market. Join the Washington Capitals Executive Chef, “Pershing’s Own,” the Farmers Market Coalition and the 30 farmers, ranchers and small food businesses from across the Chesapeake Bay Region in celebrating National Farmers Market Week!
In addition to our Day Market (9 am – 2 pm), we are bringing back our famed Night Market (4 pm – 8 pm).
S’mores! Craving the perfect campfire snack? The Capital Candy Jar will be a guest vendor at both markets to celebrate S’mores Day (the unofficial holiday is August 10th).
Wear your red to show how much you love thy farmer! Whether coming for the goods or staying for the food, both markets will be bustling with activity for all ages including man’s best friend.
USDA Farmers Market (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.):
- Buy your own copy of “Cooking with the Caps”, a Washington Capitals Cookbook, for $25 at the Monumental Sports & Entertainment Foundation booth. The cookbook features recipes from Capitals players, coaches and staff, along with the team's official caterer, SuperFd. One hundred percent of the proceeds benefit DC Central Kitchen.
- Join Executive Chef Robert Wood of the Washington Capitals and SuperFd Catering as he cooks up Maryland Blue Crab with Heirloom Tomato & Tom Yum Vinaigrette - Head Coach Barry Trotz’s own recipe! - from 12 noon to 12:30 p.m. in the “Fresh This Week” tent. Chef Wood will be signing copies of the #CapsCookbook after the demo.
- Over in the People’s Garden you can enjoy Bluegrass music from Country Roads, a special musical group part of the United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Show thy love and get an “I Heart Farmers Market” temporary tattoo and stickers from Farmers Market Coalition. And check out the winners of their 3rd Annual Farmers Market Poster Contest.
- Its salsa time! Learn why Americans love tomatoes and the best kinds to use in salsa at VegU from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Even better, you can purchase a salsa kit from a farmer to make your own!
USDA Farmers Market at Night (4 p.m. – 8 p.m.):
- Eat Crabs! Purchase all the crabs you can eat from Bay Pearl Seafood. Table, chairs and all the fixings will be provided for crackin’ until your hearts content.
- See dogs and cats available for adoption aboard the Humane Rescue Alliance’s mobile adoption vehicle. You can even go home with yours that night! Share the love with your newest family member - anyone who adopts a pet at the farmers market will receive a free bag of treats from Spoil Me Rotten Dog Biscuit Co.
- Hear more about America’s affection for tomatoes at VegU. Learn the different types and how to make a simple yet delicious bruschetta from 5:30 – 7 p.m.
For 22 years, USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service has operated the USDA Farmers Market in Washington, D.C. The market operates on Fridays, May to October from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and features 30+ farmers, ranchers and small food businesses from across the Chesapeake Bay Region. For more information about upcoming events follow @USDA_AMS on Twitter and Instagram.