Rulemaking and Hearing Background:
Tart Cherries Grown in Michigan, et at; Notice of Request for Extension and Revision of a Currently Approved Information Collection. Docket Number: AMS-FV-13-0012; FV13-930-1. Comments must be received by July 15, 2013. [Notice PDF
Tart Cherries Grown in Michigan, et al; Increasing the Primary Reserve Capacity and Revising Exemption Requirements. Docket Number: AMS-FV-0092; FV12-930-1 FR. EFFECTIVE: July 10, 2012 [Notice PDF
Tart Cherries Grown in Michigan, et al; Order Amending Marketing Order No. 930. Docket Number: AO-370-A9; 11-0093; AMS-FV-10-0087; FV10-930-5. EFFECTIVE: June 7, 2012. [Notice PDF
Tart Cherries Grown in Michigan, et al; Increasing the Primary Reserve Capacity and Revising Exemption Requirements. Docket Number: AMS-FV-11-0092; FV12-930-1. Comments due by May 10, 2012. [Notice PDF
Federal Marketing Order 930 for Tart Cherries Grown in Michigan, et al. Docket Number: AO-370-A9; 11-93; AMS-FV-10-0087; FV10-930-5:
- Secretary’s Decision and Referendum Order on Proposed Amendments of Marketing Order. The referendum will be conducted from March 19-30, 2012. [Notice PDF] [Press Release]
The proposed amendments are based on the record of public hearings held in April 2011. Written exceptions to the proposed amendments were due by November 25, 2011. Transcripts from the hearings are listed below.
Tart Cherries Grown in Michigan, et al; Final Free and Restricted Percentages for the 2011-12 Crop Year. Docket Number: AMS-FV-11-0085; FV11-930-3 FR. EFFECTIVE: June 19, 2012. [Notice PDF
Tart Cherries Grown in Michigan, et al.; Suspension of Order Regulations Regarding Random Row Diversion. Docket Number: AMS-FV-11-0047; FV11-930-1 FR. This rule changes the grower diversion regulations prescribed under the marketing order. EFFECTIVE: October 22, 2011. [Notice PDF
Tart Cherries Grown in Michigan, et al.; Final Free and Restricted Percentages for the 2010-2011 Crop Year. Docket Number: AMS-FV-10-0081; FV10-930-4 FR. EFFECTIVE: February 26, 2011. [Notice PDF
Tart Cherries Grown in Michigan, et al.; Increased Assessment Rate for the 2010 – 2011 Crop Year. Docket Number: AMS-FV-10-0029; FV10-930-2 FR. EFFECTIVE: September 21, 2010. [Notice PDF
Tart Cherries Grown in Michigan, et al.; Order Amending Marketing Order 930. Docket Number: AO-370-A8; AMS-FV-06-0213; FV07-930-2 FR. EFFECTIVE: July 15, 2010. [Notice PDF
- Commodity Regulated: Tart cherries grown in Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wisconsin
- Crop Shipping Season: July 1 through June 30
- Fiscal Year: July 1 through June 30
- Production Area(s): Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wisconsin
- Order Authority and Regulations: Marketing order authorizes volume controls that provide for a reserve pool in times of heavy cherry supplies. Under the order, reserve cherries may be released to handlers for free use; used in diversion programs; exported; or carried over as a hedge against a short crop the next year. Other major marketing order provisions, not currently in use, include minimum grade and size regulations and authorization for market research and development projects, including paid advertising.
- Research and Promotion: The order authorizes the production and processing of research, market research and development, and promotional activities that include paid advertising.
- The order became effective on September, 24 1996. The marketing order was last amended under formal rulemaking on June 15, 2010.
Board Structure: The Cherry Industry Administrative Board consists of 18 members, including 6 producer members, 8 handler members, 3 members who can be either producers or handlers, and 1 public member. There are 16 alternates. Members serve 3-year terms of office that begin July 1. Approximately one-third of the Board is selected each year to provide continuity. Producer and handler members are nominated at meetings and by mail ballots, with one-third of the Board's membership selected each year.
Perry Hedin, Executive Director, Cherry Industry Administrative Board; 12800 Escanaba Drive, Suite A; DeWitt, Michigan 48820-0388; Phone: (517) 669-1070; Fax: (517) 669-1260. Web site: www.cherryboard.org
AMS Contact: Director, Marketing Order and Agreement Division, Fruit and Vegetable Program, Agricultural Marketing Service; Phone: (202) 720-2491.