Sweet Cherries Grown in Designated Counties in Washington; Decreased Assessment Rate. Docket Number: AMS-FV-13-0055; FV13-923-1 FIR. EFFECTIVE: December 17, 2013. [Notice PDF
- Commodity Regulated: Sweet cherries grown in designated counties in Washington
- Crop Shipping Season: June through August
- Fiscal Year: April 1 through March 31
- Production Area(s): The counties of Okanogan, Chelan, Kittitas, Yakima, and Klickitat in the State of Washington and all counties in Washington lying east thereof.
- Order Authority and Regulations: Marketing order authorizes grade, size, quality, maturity, container, and pack regulations for sweet cherries.
- Research and Promotion: The order also provides authority for marketing research and development projects, none are currently in effect.
- The order was promulgated in 1957.
Committee Structure: The Washington Cherry Marketing Committee administers the order on a local basis. The committee is comprised of 16 members. Ten members are producers (four from District 1 and six from District 2), and six members are handlers (two from District 1 and three from District 2). Each member has one alternate. Members serve a 2-year term of office that begins April 1. One-half of the members and alternates are elected each year. Producer members are nominated at producer nomination meetings. Handler members are nominated at handler nomination meetings.
Contact: B.J. Thurlby, Manager, Washington Cherry Marketing Committee, 105 South 18th Street, #205, Yakima, Washington 98901; Phone: (509) 453-4837; FAX: (509) 453-4880.
AMS Contact: Director, Marketing Order and Agreement Division, Fruit and Vegetable Program, Agricultural Marketing Service, Phone: (202) 720-2491.