Irish Potatoes Grown in Southeastern States; Suspension of Marketing Order Provisions. Docket Number: AMS-FV-11-0027; FV11-953-1 FR. This rule continues in effect the interim rule that suspended the marketing order. EFFECTIVE: October 22, 2011, through March 1, 2014. [Notice PDF
Vegetable Import Regulations; Modification of Potato Import Regulations. Docket Number: AMS-FV-08-0018; FV08-980-1 FR. EFFECTIVE: January 11, 2010. [Notice PDF
- Commodity Regulated: Shipments of Irish potatoes grown in Southeastern States
- Crop Shipping Season: June through July
- Fiscal Year: June 1 through May 31
- Production Area(s): Counties of Accomack, Northampton, Nansemond, James City, the cities of Chesapeake and Virginia Beach in the State of Virginia and the Counties of Northampton, Halifax, Nash, Edgecombe, Pitt, Lenoir, Jones, and Onslow and all Counties east thereof in the State of North Carolina
- Order Authority and Regulations: Marketing order authorizes the handling of all varieties of Irish potatoes grown in Virginia and North Carolina by grade, size and quality. Grade, size, quality and maturity requirements in effect under the marketing order also apply to imports of round type potatoes (excluding red-skinned) during the period of June 5 through July 31.
- Section 8e Requirements: Imported commodities must meet the same or comparable minimum grade, size, quality, and maturity requirements, as those specified under this Marketing Order.
- Research and Promotion: Research and promotion activities are not authorized.
- The order was promulgated in 1948 and was last amended under formal rulemaking on June 8, 1968.
Committee Structure: The Southeastern Potato Committee administers the order locally and is comprised of eight producers and four handlers. Membership is allocated by district, according to the following breakdown:
• District 1 has 2 producer members and 1 handler member.
• District 2 has 1 producer member and 1 handler member.
• There is no Committee representation for District 3.
• District 4 has 2 producer members and 2 handler members.
• District 5 has 3 producer members and 0 handler members.
Each of the 12 members has one alternate. Members serve one-year terms of office that begin April 1. Producer members are nominated by producers, and handler members are nominated by handlers at two nomination meetings, one held in Virginia and the other in North Carolina.
Contacts: Jim Stern, Manager, Southeastern Potato Committee, 28215 Terminal Drive, P.O. Box 269, Melfa, Virginia 23410; Phone: (757) 787-3842; Fax: (757) 787-4375.
AMS Contact: Director, Marketing Order and Agreement Division, Fruit and Vegetable Program, Agricultural Marketing Service, Phone: (202) 720-2491.