Sweet Onions Grown in the Walla Walla Valley of Southeast Washington and Northeast Oregon; Changes to Reporting and Assessment Due Dates. Docket Number: AMS-FV-10-0020; FV10-956-1 FR. EFFECTIVE: July 19, 2010. [Notice PDF
Vegetable Import Regulations; Administrative Changes for Onions. Docket Number: AMS-FV-08-0018; FV08-980-1 FR. EFFECTIVE: January 11, 2010. [Notice PDF
- Commodity Regulated: Sweet Onions grown in the Walla Walla Valley of Southeast Washington and Northeast Oregon
- Crop Shipping Season: Late June to late August
- Fiscal Year: January 1 – December 31
- Production Area(s): Walla Walla Valley of Southeast Washington and Northeast Oregon
- Order Authority and Regulations: Marketing order authorizes production research, marketing research and marketing development and promotion programs, including paid advertising, grade, size, quality, maturity, and pack regulations, mandatory inspection, and container markings. These programs are active and are designed to improve the marketing, distribution, consumption, and efficient production of Walla Walla sweet onions.
- Research and Promotion: Currently in effect
- The order was promulgated on May 24, 1995, and amended on February 1, 1999.
Committee Structure: The Walla Walla Sweet Onion Marketing Committee administers the order locally and consists of six producer and three handler members and their alternates and one public member and alternate. Committee members serve staggered 3-year terms of office that begin June 1. One-third of the producer and handler members are nominated each year. Members are limited to two 3-year terms of office. Producer and handler members are nominated by producers and handlers, respectively, at an industry-wide nomination meeting.
Kathy Fry, Marketing Director, Walla Walla Sweet Onion Marketing Committee, 29 E. Sumach, Post Office Box 644, Walla Walla, Washington 99362; Phone: (509) 525-1031; FAX: (509) 522-2038; Web site: www.sweetonions.org
AMS Contact: Director, Marketing Order and Agreement Division, Fruit and Vegetable Program, Agricultural Marketing Service, Phone: (202) 720-2491.