There are no rulemaking notices recently published in the Federal Register related to the marketing of Idaho and Oregon onions.
- Commodity Regulated: Onions grown in certain designated counties in Idaho, and Malheur County, Oregon
- Crop Shipping Season: August through June
- Fiscal Year: July 1 through June 30
- Production Area(s): All counties south and southeast of the southern boundary of Idaho County, Idaho, and Malheur County, Oregon
- Order Authority and Regulations: Marketing order authorizes grade, size, and pack regulations. All of the order's authorized programs are currently active. The quality, size, and maturity requirements established under the order also are applied to imported onions from early June through early March. Shipping holidays are authorized under the order but have never been imposed.
- Research and Promotion: The order also authorizes production and marketing research projects and marketing promotion (including paid advertising).
- The order was promulgated in 1957 and was last amended under formal rulemaking on February 24, 1982.
- 8e Requirements: The 8e requirements specify that imported commodities must meet the same or comparable minimum grade, size, quality, and maturity requirements, as those specified under this marketing order.
Committee Structure: The Idaho-Eastern Oregon Onion Committee administers the order locally. The Committee is composed of six producers, four handlers, and one public member. Each member has one alternate. Members and alternates serve 2-year, staggered terms of office that begin June 1. Producer and handler members are nominated by their peers at nomination meetings usually held at one location for producers and another location for handlers.
Candi Fitch, Manager, Idaho-Eastern Oregon Onion Committee, 118 N. 2nd Street, P.O. Box 909, Parma, Idaho 83660; Phone: (208) 722-5111; Fax: (208) 722-6582; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
; Web site: www.bigonions.com
AMS Contact: Director, Marketing Order and Agreement Division, Fruit and Vegetable Program, Agricultural Marketing Service; Phone: (202) 720-2491.