There are no rulemaking notices recently published in the Federal Register related to the marketing of hazelnuts.
- Commodity Regulated: Hazelnuts grown in Oregon and Washington
- Crop Shipping Season: October through September
- Fiscal Year: July 1 through June 30
- Production Area(s): Oregon and Washington
- Order Authority and Regulations: The marketing order authorizes establishment of volume regulations in the form of free and restricted percentages for in-shell hazelnuts sold in the continental United States. Expenditures for certain kinds of advertising and promotion may be credited to a handler's promotion assessments. The order provides minimum grade and size requirements based on Oregon Grade Standards. Grade and size requirements established under the order also are applied to imported hazelnuts.
- Research and Promotion: The order authorizes production research, marketing research and development programs, and marketing promotion, including paid advertising. Projects in these areas are currently active, except for production research.
- 8e Requirements: 8e requirements specify that imported commodities must meet the same or comparable minimum grade, size, quality, and maturity requirements, as those specified under this marketing order.
- The order was promulgated on September 30, 1949 and was last amended under formal rulemaking on April 22, 1996.
Board Structure: The Hazelnut Marketing Board consists of 10 members, which includes 5 grower members, 4 handler members, and 1 public member. Each member has one alternate. Members and alternates serve 2-year terms of office that begin July 1. Producer and handler members are nominated by mail ballot.
Contact: Polly Owen, Manager, Hazelnut Marketing Board, 21595-A Dolores Way NE, Aurora, Oregon 97002-9738; Phone: (503) 678-6823; FAX: (503) 678-6825.
AMS Contact: Director, Marketing Order and Agreement Division, Fruit and Vegetable Program, Agricultural Marketing Service; Phone: (202) 720-2491.