The Compliance & Enforcement Division (C&E) is responsible for ensuring compliance with the OFPA and its implementing regulations at Title 7, Section 205 of the CFR. Specifically, the C&E:
- Processes and investigates complaints alleging violations of NOP regulations
- Conducts proactive compliance and outreach activities
- Enforces organic production, handling, and labeling standards
In addition to the three NOP Divisions, two other AMS organizations — the Compliance & Analysis Program (C&A) and the Audit, Review & Compliance Branch (ARC) — perform duties and responsibilities in support of the NOP.
The AMS Compliance & Analysis Program (C&A) performs the following functions for the NOP:
- Appeals Function: The Appeals Staff reviews and analyzes appeals, and drafts decisions on behalf of the Administrator
- Investigative Function: C&A assists the NOP in investigating allegations of severe and willful violations for possible civil or criminal penalties