Agricultural Marketing Service
About AMS Newsroom Opportunity Online Forms Help Contact Us
 
 
Search AMS
   Browse by Subject
 
You are here: Home
 
Marketing Orders
 
Sales of Fluid Milk Products - Description  
There are two data series for fluid milk sales that are used in the Federal milk order program; "in Federal milk order marketing area sales" and "estimated total U.S. sales of fluid milk products."

In Federal Milk Order Marketing Area (In– area) sales are dispositions (deliveries) of fluid milk products in consumer-type packages from milk processing (bottling) plants to outlets in Federal milk order marketing areas that sell directly to consumers. These outlets include food stores, convenience stores, warehouse stores/wholesale clubs, non-food stores, schools, and the food service industry. In some cases, the disposition is directly to consumers (home delivery). More recently, deliveries to food warehouses/distribution centers are included. Fluid milk products include whole milk, flavored whole milk, 2% (reduced fat) milk, 1% (lowfat) milk, skim (fat-free) milk, flavored fat-reduced milk, buttermilk, and other miscellaneous fluid milk products. The data are reported monthly and are representative of the consumption of fluid milk products in Federal milk order marketing areas. The data series currently accounts for about 81 percent of total sales in the United States. The source of the Federal milk order data are monthly reports filed by milk processors subject to the provisions of the applicable milk order.

 
Estimated total U.S. sales of fluid milk products are based on the Federal milk order in-area sales described above and sales of Class I products in California. These two data series together account for about 93 percent of total fluid milk sales in the United States. An estimate of total U.S. fluid milk sales is derived by interpolating the remaining 7 percent of sales from the Federal milk order and California data. Sales of individual fluid milk products are shown. Beginning in 2003, sales of flavored whole and fat-reduced milk products are reported as complete data for 2002 are now reported by California. Previously, sales of flavored products were included either in whole milk or the respective fat-reduced milk product. The California data are collected and published by the Dairy Marketing Branch of the California Department of Food and Agriculture; see http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/dairy.

 
The Federal milk order in-area sales data series includes monthly and year-to-date sales volumes and percent changes from the same month and year-to-date period in the previous year. The estimated total U.S. sales data series includes monthly sales volumes and percent changes from the same month in the previous year. Some of the data have been adjusted for variation due to calendar composition.

 
I Want To
 
  View other information on sales of fluid milk products  
 
  Get information on milk prices and price announcements  
 
  Get information on milk marketings and utilization of milk by class  
 
  Get information on handlers and plants  
 
  Get information on producers or cooperatives  
 
  Access the Milk Marketing Order Statistics database  
 
 
  Dairy Market News  
 
  ERS Livestock, Dairy, and Poultry Outlook:Tables  
 
  Milk Market Administrator Web Sites  
 
  Dairy Programs  
 
  Annual Summaries of Federal Milk Order Statistics  
 
  Milk Marketing Order Statistics Home  
 
 
  Last Modified Date: 06/18/2010